Gottfried Helnwein Interpretation Part 2



Now that the image has a different viewpoint, I can see that it is in fact a proportional and realistic image. The man rock climbing isn't drawn onto the image, but he is actually climbing in front of a very large image of the girl. Now, I feel that the image is more documentary than artistic because the man is no longer a part of the picture. So, instead of thinking the meaning is about letting people "walk all over you," I now feel that the meaning is more simple. I feel that the photograph's meaning now is that there is a girl with a melancholy expression who is lonely as she is alone in the city. The picture of the girl is on the side of a large building and there are no other pictures there besides her, which portrays the idea of her isolation. I feel that the artist made the picture so large mostly for many people to be able to see it from far away and admire it. From what I can see of it, I would believe it is made on a light but firm canvas that was mounted to the building as separate pieces. So, it was most likely spliced together, seen by the two rows of nails. Also, with this new viewpoint I can tell that the image is not photoshopped and is rather a portrait of a young girl. I feel that the image is in an industrial location and therefore the audience is urban people who are probably walking to and fro. The girl has a wondering and melancholy look and this works perfectly with the name of the image. The name of the work of art is "The Last Girl" and I feel that relates back to her expression because if she is the last girl (or large portrait) then it makes sense that she would be saddened and wondering where everyone went.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection/Reflection

Lost in the World Response